Who is Eligible
The grant is available to pupils who are eligible for free school meals or are looked after children who are entering:
- Reception class, Year 1, Year 3 or Year 5 of a maintained primary school at the beginning of a new school year
- Year 7, Year 8, Year 9, Year 10 or Year 11 of a maintained secondary school at the beginning of a new school year
- In Reception, Year 1, Year 3, Year 5, Year 7, Year 8, Year 9, Year 10, Year 11 or equivalent in a special school, special needs resource base or a pupil referral unit
Please note this is not available to pupils attending private schools.
The funding is also available to all looked after children of compulsory school age.
The parent/guardian making the application must be receiving one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSAIB)
- Income related Employment Support Allowance (ESAIR)
- Child Tax Credit, with a household income of £16,190 or less
- Pension Credit (guarantee element)
- Universal Credit with net household earnings of less than £7400 p/a
Working Tax Credit is not a qualifying benefit and if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit you will not be eligible for a Pupil Development Grant even if you get this together with one of the income above.