1. Each skip shall be clearly marked with the owner’s name and 24 hour telephone number.
2. Each skip will be deposited on the carriageway/verge outside or adjacent to the location applied for, with adequate protection provided to verges and road surfaces and shall be positioned so that it’s longer sides are parallel to the edge of the carriageway and as near to the edge of the carriageway as is reasonably practicable but ensuring it does not impede the surface water drainage of the highway nor obstruct access to any manhole or any apparatus of any statutory undertaker of The Vale of Glamorgan Council.
3. Where more than one skip is on the highway at one time, the skips shall be positioned as closely as possible to each to, but not as to obstruct access to any premises unless prior approval has been obtained.
4. Each skip shall not exceed 5 metres in length and by 2 metres in width.
5. Each skip or group of skips placed on the highway shall comply with the following requirements;
Both ends of each skip shall be painted yellow and there shall be attached below and access the top edge of each end so as to be visible to traffic, strips of material the composition of which complies with Builders skip regulations 1984 in having red florescent and yellow reflecting diagonal stripes. The painting and the stripes of the material shall be at all times being kept clean and not obstructed by tarpaulins or any forms of sheeting.
When a skip is placed on the carriageway it shall be guarded by at least 3 traffic cones placed on the carriageway in an oblique line on the approach side of the skip. Where 2 or more skips are deposited in a row so that the distance between adjacent skips does not exceed 2 metres the row shall be guarded as if it were one skip.
At night (that is to say, between half-an-hour before sunset and half-an-hour after sunrise) a yellow battery operated lamp shall be placed against or attached to each corner of the skip, or at the end corners of a row or skips where 3 or more skips are to be deposited in a row and the distance between adjacent skips does not exceed 2 metres.
6. When a skip is placed in a carriageway lamps shall be placed as in 5c) i) above and shall also be placed between each of the cones referred to in paragraph 5b) above. Each lamp shall have an illuminative power of not less than one candela and shall remain lit throughout the night.
7. No skip when standing in the highway shall contain any flammable, explosive, noxious or dangerous material which is likely to putrefy and which otherwise is, or likely to become, a nuisance to users of the highway.
8. No skip shall be used in such a way that any of its contents fall onto the highway, or that there is an escape of dust from the contents.
9. Each skip shall be removed for emptying as soon as practicable and in any case no later than 2 working days after it has been filled. All waste must be contained with debris netting to prevent discharge of waste on to the highway whilst in removal.
10. No skip shall remain on the highway pursuant to this permission after the permit has expired
If applications are unable to be faxed or emailed for any reason, the applicant must contact The Vale of Glamorgan Council to make a verbal application; the application form can then be posted. It is the responsibility of the applicant to record all information on any verbal application.
Penalty for non-observance: Any action taken by The Vale of Glamorgan Council to remedy a breach of these conditions, or to repair any damage, the full costs shall be recovered from the License Holder.
Legal Indemnity: The License Holder shall indemnify, and keep indemnified, The Vale of Glamorgan Council and/or it’s servants and agents against any liability, from all claims, demands, actions, costs and damages arising out of by or in consequence of the depositing of skips on the carriageway, footway, or grass verge. The period of indemnity is to run from the commencement of the deposition until the final removal of the skips. The sum covered by the policy to be £5,000,000 for any one event with a reputable insurer. Whenever required the Licensee shall produce to the Authority the policy, or policies of insurance and the receipts for payment of the current policy.