Food Premises Registration

All businesses that manufacture, store, supply, prepare or offer food for sale (whether for profit or not) are required by law to register their business with their local council.


SRS Wales logoDepartment:

Shared Regulatory Services (SRS), Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry, CF63 4RU


Application Process

Anyone setting-up a new food business must register with the council at least 28 days before they intend to start trading.


If you use premises in more than one local council area then you must register separately with each council.

You must complete each question on the registration form and you will be asked to provide either your registered office address or your home address.  The food business operator must sign and date the form.


The details from the registration form are entered onto our premises database which allows us to programme our inspections.  We are required to maintain a simple register of all those food businesses that have registered with us.  This is a public register which simply states the trading name of the business, the address of the food business itself and the type of business it is.  We do not reveal your home address in this register.   


Once you have registered with us you only need to notify us of a change if:

  • The trading name of the business changes
  • Your food operations change
  • You no longer operate the food business you had registered. The new food business operator will then be expected to complete their own registration form.



Tacit Consent

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your licence is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.


The target time is  14 working days.


Background and Eligibility Criteria

All businesses that manufacture, store, supply, prepare or offer food for sale (whether for profit or not) are required by law to register their business with their local council. 


In practice this means pubs, staff canteens, supermarkets, takeaways, restaurants, cafes, shops, market stalls, ice cream vans, mobile food traders, luncheon clubs, childminders and even village halls. 


Certain other food businesses may need to seek prior approval from the council before they can operate.


Registration of premises used for a food business allows the council to keep an up-to-date list of those premises in their area so they can inspect them when they need to.  The frequency of visits will depend on the degree of risk involved.



There are currently no fees associated with this process.


Supplementary Information


  • Inspections

    Food Safety Officers carry out regular inspections of all food premises trading within the borough to ensure that the public is protected; that high standards of food hygiene are maintained and ultimately that food is safe to eat.  All businesses that manufacture, pack, store, supply or sell food (including drink) will be subject to an inspection.

    Inspection of premises can take place at any reasonable time with or without prior notice. Occasionally we may make appointments for visits. If a Food Safety Officer calls they will show you their identification and authorisation, which you are entitled to see.


    Food Safety Officers have a right to enter the premises at any reasonable time or when they suspect there may be a particular problem. They are entitled to assistance and to have their questions answered. During the visit they are legally entitled to talk to employees, take samples (see below), photographs and if necessary seize or detain food.  Obstructing a food safety officer is an offence.


    Officers may ask to see documentation such as HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) assessments, Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) documents, temperature records, training records, pest control records or cleaning schedules, which should be kept available at the premises for inspection.


    At the end of the inspection the officer will inform you of their findings and what further action, if any, they will be taking and what you need to do.  They will discuss with you the time allowed for complying with the law.  Generally, you will be given a reasonable period of time to improve standards although some requirements may demand your immediate attention.  You will usually be given a report of the inspection at the time or a copy may be left on site for you.  Occasionally a letter will be sent to confirm the inspection and report on the findings.

  • Food Sampling

    The Commercial Team participate in both national and local food sampling programmes.  These programmes aim to test certain types of food produced or on sale, to ensure that they meet certain food safety criteria (microbiological safety and/or quality standards) and ultimately to ensure that they are safe for the consumer to eat.  Food samples can be taken either with or without the seller's knowledge. 


    Occasionally, following a food hygiene inspection, a complaint about a particular food premises or a suspected food poisoning, we may also take food or surface swab samples.


    All unsatisfactory sample results will be investigated and, where necessary, action taken to prevent any risks to consumer health.

  • Approval

    Generally those food businesses who manufacture meat, fish or egg products and who supply to other premises (even premises within their own ownership) as a significant part of their overall business will require formal approval instead of just a registration. 


Offences and Penalties

It is an offence to provide false information.


It is an offence not to register your food business with the council.


Complaints and Other Redress


Failed Application Redress: Contact the Local Authority in the first instance.


Licence Holder Redress: Contact the Local Authority in the first instance.


Consumer Complaint: View our consumer complaints procedure.